One of the most common questions when asked about general auto repair and maintenance is, “How often should I change my oil?” Changing your oil is very important to your vehicles general maintenance and you should do it regularly.
Your car is a big purchase. Behind your house, it is your next biggest investment so it’s vital you take good care of it and keep it well maintained. A well-maintained car can end up saving you thousands of dollars in the long run. Keep it running long after your final payment and you will save a LOT of money.
You may have heard different time frames for when you need to change your oil. The most common one used to be every 3,000 miles or every 3 months (whichever was first). Nowadays, vehicles technology is far advanced and general oil quality is much better than it used to be meaning your average oil change will last longer.
So, the real answer is that there is no real set standard. However, we can tell you some things that have an effect on your oil change time frame. It is also worth noting that every manufacturer has different recommended intervals that vary due to oil capacity, viscosity and oil type (i.e. synthetic)
Here is a list:
- In Arizona, we deal with EXTREME heat. This can affect the oil and will cause us to change our oil more than in states where they deal with less extreme weather conditions. This is also true for states who deal with extreme cold (something we do not have to worry about here in the desert)
- Heavy loads can also cause issues. If you regularly use your truck to tow heavy loads, then again, you may need more frequent oil changes.
- If you take a lot of small trips (below 10 miles) then this can also have a negative effect on your engine oil and will cause you to need an oil change more frequently.
- Road conditions also play a factor. If you drive mostly flat roads, then you are good. If you are constantly driving up steep hills then this can also cause problems.
- Dry and dusty conditions also have an affect on your vehicle and its oil. The dust and dirt mixed with your oil can cause engine problems.
With the improvements in engine oil and vehicle technology, all of your oil change intervals can be extended, but it is very important to read the fine print in manufacturers guidelines. To maintain your vehicle takes a lot of care and attention. Changing your oil can be a fairly routine procedure if you have a solid background in auto repair but if you need help, call us and book in at an of the 9 Wilhelm locations Valley wide. If you have any other maintenance issues that you would like to be covered in our blogs, just ask. We are happy to answer any questions and pass on our knowledge and expertise to our customers.